The End Where I Begin...

The End Where I Begin...

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Been Awhile

Well this past weekend was the GP of Portugal. I went into the GP with 4 days of practice and about that many days of intense training. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into but I wanted to be on the gate. March was the last time I had been in really good health and at my normal physical level. Good idea or bad, I am glad I did it. I have a baseline either way and I now know the effects of not training and being prepared for a race. I have experienced similar times like this but not quite like this.

Needless to say I was a fish out of water. LOL. I guess that part of it was expected, I just did not want to face the fact that I was going to be hurting that bad due to fatigue and lack of breathing. I have always been in good shape, but this is a first. After broken bones, I have still been able to maintain certain levels of training. Not one time have I struggled with 4 laps leading into the 19 + laps of the GP. The goals for now are to get my physical conditioning back to where it needs to be asap.

This upcoming weekend, June 18th-19th,  is the GP of Spain. After this weekend I will have a two week break where I can make up for the lack of riding and training which I am looking forward to. 


People do not realize how much riding there is throughout the weekend of a G.P. We have a 2 day event starting Saturday morning with a “free 35 minute practice”. After the free practice we have a “35 minute timed practice”. The reason for the timed practice is your position in the lap times determines your gate pick for your qualifying race. So with your gate pick from the timed practice we then have a “20min +2 lap moto”. This race is a sprint for your gate pick in both motos on Sunday. Sunday morning we have a 30 minute warm up practice. Then last but not least the grueling 2 x 35min +2 lap motos which leads to about 42 minute races. Not to mention, there is no track prep between those days. LOL.

Other then the racing the weather has finally turned from the daily snowfall from the last time I was here in April, to the lovely humid 90 degree weather. Not really sure which I prefer. Even though I am not so well off with the physical side of things, I am so happy to be back racing and riding. Said it before and I’ll say it again, every time a break takes place and the return to racing comes around, it is even better then the last time. I am still on my own with everything and everyone across the pond, although my father will be joining me in 2 weeks. He will be staying for 2 weeks during Sweden as well as Germany. After he heads home, I will be sending out what I guess you could call “A MAN FRIEND” LOL. Say what you want about that, but I need a damn friend out here.

So for now that is all, I will be preparing for the race this weekend. It is the first time this GP has been at this track in a few years, so I hope it suits me a bit more then last weekend. Check back in again next week. I don’t know how to say good bye in Spanish,  although Italian is close enough. LOL. Chi vidiamo dopo!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michael! nice to see you back in Europe, you need to improve your italian, but you're on the right way! Ci vediamo dopo! Ciao! :-)

    ReplyDelete